Valles Mines, Missouri, U S A
Founded in 1749 by Francois Valle years. 274 years later as The Valle Mining Company, his 4000+
acre property every year absorbs 21,000 tons of carbon dioxide and puts out 14,000 tons of oxygen, enough
to meet the needs of 63,000 people. [USDA Forest Facts]
Survival Camping with Survival Gear
Designed and photographed by Cpl. Sandy Reid of the British Army from his visits to Valles Mines.
Photos of a few basic outdoor skills to master, making surviving a lot more comfortable if you have
to be "out there".
Aims of this project and a list of what to bring
- Sensible outdoor clothing is essential. We recommend that you bring a wool or fleece hat, a waterproof
and windproof Jacket and trousers, wool or fleece base layer/s and mid layer/s, and several long and short-sleeved
- It is useful to also bring base layers (wool or fleece) that you use to sleep in. Cargo/combat trousers
are ideal; as they are strong, light and fast drying.
- Please do not bring jeans!
- Sturdy hiking boots are a must,
as some of the terrain is steep and rocky.
- We also recommend that you bring a pair of old trainers for the
evenings and keep your spare changes of clothes stored in a plastic bag to keep them dry.
- Small day-sack or bum-bag in addition to your main rucksack, for short hike's to gather materials
- Sleeping bag, preferably 3 season
- Self-inflating or closed-cell foam sleeping mat
- Tent or basha Bivi bag
- Torch and spare batteries
- Small first aid kit, including plasters, blister kit, tweezers, foot powder and any personal medication
- Sun block and lip balm
- Good insect repellent
- Wash kit and towel
- Knife, fork and spoon
- Mug, plate & bowl
- Water bottle
- Notebook and pencil
- 10 meters of parachute cord
- Swim wear and towel
- Some zip-lock or plastic bags are useful for keeping tinder dry
- Spare Clothes for sleeping in, old pair of trainers kept in plastic bag to keep them dry
- Optional extras: Camera and film
- Optional extras: Binoculars.
- Optional extras: Tampons: it is not uncommon for a sudden change of environment to start an unexpected period.