Valles Mines, Missouri, U S A
Founded in 1749 by Francois Valle years. 274 years later as The Valle Mining Company, his 4000+
acre property every year absorbs 21,000 tons of carbon dioxide and puts out 14,000 tons of oxygen, enough
to meet the needs of 63,000 people. [USDA Forest Facts]
14122 Valles Mines School Road
The Rozier House 1837-1974
Note 1: On the far right under the siding: An original 1749 log cabin. The house was added later.
Note 2: On the far left under the siding, with porch: Two-story addition added by Welton Rozier (d.1928).
Note 3: On the farthest left in background, an additional building with parking.
Note 4: The spring house, an early refrigerator, was added after the
1914 diamond drill hit an
of cool water.
The Janis-Ziegler House in Ste. Genevieve, National Park Service
Originally built for Nicolas and Marie Janis in 1790...
From "Between The Gabouri, A History of Ferdinand Rozier" Ste. Genevieve 1981,
Library of Congress #81-84369
pg 129 "...0n 22 Oct 1839 Francis [Claude Rozier 02-01-1816 to 05-08-1879, now 23] married
Marie Zoe Valle, daughter of Jean Baptiste Valle Jr. [1783-1837] and Marie Louise Janis [1798-1827] , his first
wife. The young couple set up housekeeping in their own home...
pg 130 "...In March 1842 Francis had arrived in Ste. Genevieve with his family. Francis and
Zoe had been happy in Potosi with their business and family associations. Although they were
returning to Ste. Genevieve it meant living with Mme. Valle, Zoe's stepmother who had raised
her, until Francis could make a new start. Zoe's father J.B. Valle Jr. was by then deceased
and Mme. Valle was still residing in the family home on the road to Little Rock near the
pg 131 "...Mme. Valle died 15 January 1848. Francis earlier had begun to purchase parcels in
Block 3 in Ste. genevieve, first from his brother Firmin and another portion from Francois
Janis and his wife [Marie Louise 1798-1827, daughter of Francois & Pelagie Bienvenu Janis..."
[See also, The Rozier House Arson]
Restoration Begins 2020
Clearing and digging to expose the Foundation
Roziers Through Time
1874 - Louis J. Rozier, Superintendent, Valle Mining Company