Valles Mines, Missouri, U S A
Founded in 1749 by Francois Valle in the French Upper Louisiana before Lewis and Clark. 275 years later the Valle Mining Company's 4000+ acre property every year absorbs 21,000 tons of carbon dioxide and generates
14,000 tons of oxygen, enough to meet the needs of 63,000 people. [USDA Forest Facts]
Skip Navigation Links
Home
General Store
Directory
Main Street
Mining Heritage
Mining Museum
Lost History Museum
Weather
Miner News

The Gut of 2018

While blueprints were drawn up for modernization, the house was gutted (see picture below), then work mysteriously stopped. In 2022, in hopes of restarting the project, the Lost History Museum hired John Sprague, Master Builder to consult on a plan for at least occupancy again.

St. Louis architect Ken Burns generously calculated a framing detail needed to bring the second floor up to Jefferson County's modern building code for occupancy. The original well driller estimated the cost to restore running water, then [crickets] from the Mining Company. As of 7-31-2023 the president of the Valle Mining Company has refused to let the Lost History Museum work on it despite the local and pressing need for security in the valley along Valles Mines School Road and given its history of arson. Donald Declue's "Alta House", named after his late daughter and Howard Declue's house were also burned mysteriously in the 1970's.

The house was gutted for modernization but stopped.

The Rehab of the All-Oak Building in 1986

All the new wood was harvested from our forest by Tom Jarvis and sawn by his brother.

1986 Rehab of 501 Valles Mines School Road All-Oak Building-1
1986 Rehab of 501 Valles Mines School Road All-Oak Building-2
1986 Rehab of 501 Valles Mines School Road All-Oak Building-3
1986 Rehab of 501 Valles Mines School Road All-Oak Building-4
1986 Rehab of 501 Valles Mines School Road All-Oak Building-5