Valles Mines, Missouri, U S A
Founded in 1749 by Francois Valle in the French Upper Louisiana before Lewis and Clark. 275 years later the Valle Mining Company's 4000+ acre property every year absorbs 21,000 tons of carbon dioxide and generates
14,000 tons of oxygen, enough to meet the needs of 63,000 people. [USDA Forest Facts]
Skip Navigation Links
Home
General Store
Directory
Main Street
Mining Heritage
Mining Museum
Lost History Museum
Holocaust
Miner News

Patton's youngest officer (colonel at 34) in his General Staff Headquarters, ETO [See his Medals below].

His Medals

Some included: European African Middle Eastern Campaign with 5 Bronze Stars; World War II ("Freedom From Fear And Want. Freedom of Speech And Religion"); French Crois De Guerre with Star; Legion Of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster; American Defense (Unlimited National Emergency May 27, 1941); American Campaign; Army of Occupation (Germany); Armed Forces Reserve with two bronze Hour Glasses.

His Portrait 20 years later after commanding Missouri's 102nd Infantry Division

The Valles Mines Airport - in event of war

As proposed by Maj. General William H. Harrison 1982

As a mapping expert, Harrison helped Gen. George Patton target and bomb roads, railroads, airfields, and obstacles to the US 3rd Army's path across Europe to victory in 1945. During the Cold War he continued his military service and would fly to the Pentagon for readiness meetings. In the course of all this, he designed a defense, namely an airfield, for St. Louis and nearby counties in the event of war.

[Click Here to see a larger view of the Valles Mines Airport].
A Possible Scenario commonly considered during the Cold War:
  • the City of St Louis obliterated as a wartime casualty such as after the delivery of a nuclear missile targeting then McDonnell-Douglas (now Boeing), obliterating the City and
  • in a worst case coming with a possible invasion.
  • The Valles Mines airfield pictured above, being outside the primary blast zone, would unite Hillsboro with the historic Colonial French Triangle, that is, French Village-Farmington-Ste. Genevieve against any foe, repeating the way in which they had fought in 1780 in the days of the Kingdom of New France, to keep St. Louis (then called Fort San Carlos) from the hands of an invading English war party of a thousand men then. .

The Road Restored from building that airfield would reinstate the Hillsboro-Farmington Road first built in 1850 and abandoned in modern times which
  • used to connect the County seats
  • today starts at Buster Cemetery/Crossing on Valles Mines Road
  • running over the Valle Mines Railroad Tunnel
  • due east to the former Halifax Post Office then
  • joining the present Crow Lane which
  • doglegs into Y-Highway Spur
  • and from there as the present Y-Highway to French Village and on eastward to Ste. Genevieve.